Tuesday, January 26, 2010

ALEEM FEAT. LEROY BURGESS - GET LOOSE


Another classic boogie tune that I picked up for $10 bucks at my local, Northside Records. It's not exactly rare, but I was mighty excited to come across this. Featuring the great Leroy Burgess on vocals (and probably my favorite male vocalist ever) and also on production and writing duties with the Aleems, Get Loose is geared for the dance floor but combines that disco boogie sound with the burgeoning garage sound. It's reminiscent of Serious Intention's You Don't Know in the garage sense, but I could imagine people break-dancing to this, as it also has that whole Electric Boogaloo thing happening in the vein of Midway's Set It Out and Ollie & Jerry's There's No Stopping Us. It's also probably a precursor to the Freestyle genre/sound of the mid to late 80's. And it sounds suspiciously similar to Release Yourself, also by The Aleems featuring Leroy Burgess (and a classic in its own right).
But I digress. The driving bassline propels the track and there is also great use of synths and drum machines here topped off with Burgess's soulful voice. It's a dance-floor monster and it's seminal because it takes the best bits of all the things I mentioned above and makes it appeal to disco, electro and freestlye heads alike as well as, well, everybody really.

Aleem feat. Leroy Burgess - Get Loose

1 comment: